Saturday, May 24, 2014

My First Newspaper Blackout.


On my flight coming home from Seattle, I had the privilege of reading Newspaper Blackout by Austin Kleon. I really admire his work, having already read Steal Like an Artist and Show Your Work!. I was more than ready to dive into anything else he's written. For anyone who isn't familiar with Kleon's work, he creates his own poetry through selecting words in published news articles that fit together to give a whole new meaning to them. My method on my first shot was slightly different than his; he uses print newspapers and black permanent markers. I used Photoshop with the rectangle tool and an old scanned print article I found online; simply because I was too lazy to sift through my recycle bin to hunt down a hard copy to use. Who knows where I can find a Marks-a-Lot too...

I found a random article from a student newspaper from the University at Buffalo published in the 1950s that was archived online and chipped away at it.  I like the result, so I believe I've found a new hobby! I sized the image up in this post so the words could be more legible. Expect to see some newspaper blackouts appear in this blog from time to time. Thanks, Austin!

No comments:

Post a Comment